Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Author Interview: Jessica Parish of the Pugalugs Series



Interview with Jessica and Mark Parish, author of the Pugalugs series.

About Pugalugs

Q: Pugalugs currently has five books in the series. Do you plan on writing more and if so how many?

A: Yes, depending on the success of the first 5 books, I have over 30 titles planned... the potential for Pugalugs to go off on adventures now he has found the magic bone (in the book by the same title) is endless. It would be nice to do some educational books (geographical, spelling, numbers etc) if I get the chance.

Q: How much research went into writing Pugalugs? How long did it take you to complete writing it?

A: Months and months of research. I wanted to learn how to write and produce a children's book, not just write a story and submit it for publishing so I learned everything there is to know about publishing a children's book before I even started to write the stories. The books took about 2 weeks to write and get things to where I was satisfied with the text. I would say the time needed to create the design for the illustration took more time. All in all, I'd say about a month per book!

Q: Was there any specific reason for the names that you gave the characters? Specifically, how did you come up with the name Pugalugs?

A: I thought long and hard about the main character's name. My husband and I spent many an evening discussing it and coming up with ideas. Eventually, I decided on Pugalugs because my husband's mum used to call him "Bugalugs" when he was a child and so I just swapped the B for a P and Pugalugs was born. The characters of the books are based on my own Pugs (The main character's name is actually "Rocky" in real life but Dug and Bella are actually real names).

Q: What compelled you to write Pugalugs?

A: The books were inspired by a real-life event. My husband's father (Granddad in the books) dog-sits for our dogs. One day my husband got a frantic call from Granddad whilst he was at work to say that he had been out gardening and the dogs were with him but when he turned round they had disappeared. He had left the garden gate slightly open and they had escaped. My husband left work immediately to try and find them but there was no sign of them. Over 2 hours he searched. We were devastated as we thought they may have been stolen or worse knocked over on the roads.

Later that afternoon when we had given up hope, my husband got a call from his work on his mobile (he was still looking for them) to say the local vet had been in touch and somebody had kindly realized that the dogs were two escapees and took them to the vets. They had been found about 1 mile away from home outside a local country pub!

So that is what inspired the books. We always wondered what adventures they had been having during the time they had gone missing. And to this day we are amazed at how far the dogs managed to get without being injured or stolen. They had to cross two main roads and a number of side roads to get to the pub (called the Gerrard Pub).

Q: What do you think it is about Pugalugs that has made it so popular?

A: I think Pugs are a very popular breed of dog which definitely helps. Who can resist a cute cuddly loveable pug? My illustrator did a fantastic job of translating what I wanted the characters to look like (it took many many revisions to get it 100% right) and I think they look great which also helps. 

About Writing

Q: What made you decide to start writing?

A: I studied English A-Level and always had a desire to put pen to paper but never had the inspiration until we experienced the dogs escaping. So it was being a Pug fanatic that really started things off.

Q: What do you use when you write (for example do you use a computer, have a special pen or notebook)?

A: I always use a notebook and pencil to scribble my ideas down. The stories fill out from there. I still have the old note pads with the original scrawl. Who knows, one day they may be worth something!

Q: Do you start writing with a specific story or plot in mind or do you just "go with the flow"?

A: Yes, the idea is there in my mind before I start to put pen to paper. A lot of thought has gone into it before I actually start to write.

Q: Writers are often believed to have a Muse or something that they draw inspiration from, how do you feel about that?

A: Yes I definitely get my inspiration from the dogs.

Q: Are you currently working on any other books outside of the Pugalugs series? If so what can you tell me about it?

A: No, I work full time as an accounts assistant. If the first 5 books take off properly then I will create time to write more but for now, I'm happy to have produced 5 books.

About Jessica Parish 

Q: What do you like to do in your free time when you are not writing?

A: I like to keep fit so I run (have done 1/2 marathons and 1 marathon). I'm also a bit of a tomboy in that I like motorbikes/motorbike racing (I ride on the back with my husband) and Rugby League. I live in St. Helens and so am a big St. Helens Rugby League Fan.

Q: What is your stance on physical books vs. e-books? How do you feel about audio-books?

A: Any book is good but I am a big fan of physical books. The smell and feel of a book add to the reading experiance I believe and it is nice to see a collection building on a bookshelf as opposed! I do read a lot of e-books on my kindle for convenience when I'm on vacation.

Q: What font do you like the most? What font do you like the least?

A: Haven't really thought about it. I do like Calibri and probably copperplate gothic is one I'm not keen on.

Q: What was your favorite book as a child? What is your favorite book today?

A: Goosebumps as a child. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins today. 

Q: What is your favorite quote (from anything/anyone)?

A: If you think you can, you can. (Norman Vincent Peale)

Q: In honor of the season, what is your fondest Halloween memory?

A: Making your own costume out of a bin bag as a child...how times have changed!

Q: Is there anything else you would like to share?

A: The Pugalugs Trick or Treat Book is my second favorite after the Christmas book.

About Charity Efforts

Q: Pugalugs has gotten a bunch of press, how does this make you feel?

A: I'm quite a reserved person and don't really like being in the limelight but when I do see an article in the press it makes me feel proud of my achievements. 

Q: If you do not mind sharing, in total how much has been given to charity thanks to your books?

A: I haven't really kept a record but I have done literally 100's of book signings in stores like BHS (before it closed), Debenhams, Tesco, and other book shops where I would donate £1,000 from each book sale so I would say a minimum of £5,000 to various charities. I also donated 1000 of each book (5000 books) to Alder Hey Children's hospital which they now give to poorly children and sell in their gift shop.

End Interview



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: A Deadly Education

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik was given eighth place in the Goodreads choice awards for fantasy last year and has been nominated again...