Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Review: An Indelible Day by Cairo Marques

 

An Indelible Day by Cairo Marques is a short story only about 30 pages long that shouldn’t take readers longer than a few hours to finish. Broken down into three parts there are easy to reach stopping points should a reader not be able to read the entire thing in one sitting. For those such as myself who do not know what ‘Indelible’ means I took the time to look it up and it is loosely defined as something that can not be forgotten.

It is difficult to write a summary of a book of this length without creating nothing but one big spoiler but I will try my best. C appears to be a nice man but something is fundamentally wrong in his life. It would seem that C has trouble not only feeling, processing, and expressing his emotions but also connecting with those in his peer group. Yet a rescheduled doctor’s appointment could lead him on a path to a potentially life changing encounter.

What I liked best was C’s character as he is very intriguing. There seems to be layers to him just asking to be uncovered. I couldn’t help but wonder about C’s past and why her has the difficulties he appears to be suffering from. Sadly what I didn’t like was that after finishing the book I found myself asking why this was important. What was the significance of these events? In the preface the author mentions most readers will probably fall into one of two categories. (1) Those who find it pointless and wanting their time back of (2) those wanting more. While I find myself in the latter categorize the vagueness of the ending really let me down.

Ideal readers for this book would be busy adults who don’t have the time or the concentration to read a long novel. As I can only classify this book as fiction there is no one genre preface that I believe would enjoy this book over another. The writing style is not so complex that it requires a high reading level, skill, or specific knowledge to enjoy. I rate this book 2 out of 4 or 3 out of 5. The book was very well written and was an enjoyable read. Yet it was too short for the amount of information it was trying to convey and the ending was unclear. Honestly the book would have gotten a higher rating if it was longer, contained more backstory, and gave more details about the results of the chance encounter. I also felt like there was some deeper meaning or point to this story that I was missing.

Review by Melissa Espenschied of nightreaderreviews.blogspot.com or bookreviewsatnight@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: A Deadly Education

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik was given eighth place in the Goodreads choice awards for fantasy last year and has been nominated again...